With summer just around the corner, it’s time to get your body beach ready! We all want the perfect sun-kissed tan, but that doesn’t mean we need to scorch our skin in the sun. Skip the harmful tanning beds and choose a safer alternative like sunless tanner.
Last minute pool party? Don’t panic! Our self-tanner picks will provide the same glow as tanning beds or the sun, and your skin will be much better protected.
There are several types of sunless tanners to choose from including gels, lotions, sprays, etc. Start by choosing one that works for you and your skin tone. Depending on whether or not you’re a sunless tan rookie, you’ll want to stick to certain types.
TIP #1: don’t forget to exfoliate before using ANY kind of sunless tanner!
TIP #2: use plastic gloves when applying sunless tanner to avoid getting fake fingers!
Below are our top 6 self-tanning products in order from beginner level to expert. Leave a comment below with your favorite sunless tan products or tweet us @nubry with your tanned pics.
Self Tanners For Beginning Tanner and Expert Tanner
1. Tan Towels: Tan Towels are a great product for beginners. While most self-tanners claim to be “streak free”, they are not. However, this product is practically goof-proof and will not give you orange streaks. All you do is apply the towel in a circular motion, starting with your face and working your way down your body. Start with the towel folded and then unfold it by each section of your body to get the optimum color. Bonus: It won’t stain your clothes! Buy Tan Towels
2. Jergens Natural Glow: This self-tanner is a lotion that gradually builds your tan with each application. It is also recommended for beginners because it initially provides a subtle color, until you build a deeper tan. It provides an extremely natural-looking tan and can actually replace your daily moisturizer. The Antioxidant and Vitamin E formula will give your skin a radiant glow. Buy Jergens Natural Glow
3. Beautisol Face Tanner Kit: getting that healthy glow from the sun’s rays can be achieved just as easily with this gel, meant for normal to oily skin. The best part, this kit includes an exfoliator which cleanses and prepares your face for self tanner application. Face turns bronze within a few hours. Buy Beautisol Face Tanner Kit
4. Clarins Self Tanning Instant Gel: This award winning self-tanner comes in a lightweight clear gel form. You will see results within just a few hours and it is a long lasting formula. The gel can be used on both the face and body. It is also formulated with plant extracts, so your skin will not only be bronze, but silky-smooth too! Buy Clarins Self Tanning Instant Gel
5. Xen Tan Face Tanner Luxe: If you’re looking for a self-tanner designed specifically for your face, this is the one! This ‘Luxe’ version will instantly bronze your face. The lotion comes out dark, so you can actually see the color when applying it. This one is recommended for experienced self-tanners because you have to be careful when blending it in around your neck. It is definitely a must-have product for days when you don’t have time to tan your whole body. Buy Xen Tan Face Tanner Luxe
6. Sally Hansen Airbrush Legs: Stop putting off wearing shorts because your legs aren’t summer ready! Sally Hansen Airbrush Legs will instantly transform your legs from winter white to golden bronze in a matter of minutes. Not only does it act as a self-tanner, it magically covers up any unsightly bruises or imperfections. However, its best to only try this product if you are a self-tanning pro. It’s very important to completely rub this product in with your hands to avoid any blotchy patches. Once you get the technique down, you will love the results! Buy Sally Hansen Airbrush Legs