Across the industry, from runway makeup to celebrity beauty trends, everyone is looking to the idea of ‘more is more’ for beauty inspiration this fall/winter 2016-2017. In fact, ‘less is more’ is so last season! Bold makeup trends like glitter eyes, the dark lip, Twiggy lashes, and faux freckles will definitely turn heads. According to Brittany Gray, celebrity makeup artist and founder of Fancy Face, industry insiders are letting natural-looking makeup take a backseat this coming season in place of bold beauty statements. “While I appreciate the natural makeup look, I will always love high-glamour beauty,” says Brittany, and “there are some really fun ways for the uninitiated to get on board with this trend.”
Below, we’ve taken 3 bold makeup trends from the runway and made them wearable for everyday! Read on as Brittany divulges how to get the look for some of our favorite bold makeup looks this season.
3 Bold Makeup Trends For Fall/Winter 2016-17
1. How To Create Faux Freckles
Achieving the look with faux freckles can be quite high maintenance for your everyday routine if you weren’t born with them.
Those with an oilier complexion in particular should avoid this look, as you risk your ‘freckles’ sliding and smudging throughout the day – particularly during the warmer months!
Faux freckles are a bold makeup trend that are much easier to achieve for those with dry or combination skin types.
Get The Look:
- Use an eyebrow pencil that is 1-2 shades lighter than your hair color. Brittany’s favorite product for achieving this look is Anastasia Beverly Hills Brow Wiz – the tip is very fine and the formula is relatively dry, which is perfect for creating natural-looking freckles.
- When applying, think about where the sun hits your face – across the top of your forehead, nose and across the tops of your cheeks – and dot the pencil lightly on your skin in a sporadic pattern.
- Try a small amount at first and build up density as you need to.
- Apply a translucent finishing powder to lock them in place all day.
2. How To Do Glitter Eyes For Day & Night
Spotted at Giambattista Valli and Burberry, glitter eye makeup is one of those bold makeup trends that looks great for the day, date night or an evening out with the girls.
If you’re new to glitter eyes, start with Urban Decay Eyeshadow in Midnight Cowboy – it’s a neutral shade of soft blush that works with absolutely any undertone.
There’s also not a lot of product fallout, which means you don’t wind up with glitter all over your face.
- Glitter Eye Makeup For Day: Keep it fresh with a soft wash of glitter over the eyelid or dab a concentrated amount in the inner corners of the eyes. No need for eyeliner with this look – just pair with a light coat of mascara and you’re all set.
- Glitter Eye Makeup For Night: If you’re heading out for a fun night, pair with a smokey eye to really amp up the drama.
3. How To Achieve Twiggy Lashes With Over-the-Top Mascara
Seen at Carven and Nina Ricci, big, dramatic lashes – think Twiggy in the 60’s – are on trend as one of our favorite bold makeup trends for the upcoming fall/winter 2017 season. There is nothing wrong with using 3 coats of your favorite mascara and don’t be afraid to coat the bottom lashes too!
It really opens up the eyes and is a great low-maintenance alternative to false lashes. Brittany says shes tried a lot of high-end designer mascaras but she always come back to L’Oreal Voluminous Volume Building Mascara. Another great product is Too Faced Better Than Sex Mascara. Both of these mascaras have a thick formula and larger bristles to really grab the lashes and make them full.
For more bold makeup trends and beauty tips, be sure to subscribe to our newsletter or follow us on Instagram.