The Miss California USA 2013 pageant is quickly approaching us! I do my own makeup all the time for photo shoots on Nubry, but I figured that stage makeup is probably very different than fashion editorial makeup, so I scouted out the very best makeup artist for the job. Lou Flores, acclaimed makeup artist and America’s Next Top Model hopeful, specializes in makeup for stage (evening gown and swimsuit) as well as makeup for interview with the judges. See how I did my makeup at the pageant: LIVEBLOG: Follow Gretchen Hackmann Live At Miss California USA 2013.
I drove up to Los Angeles the other day, from San Diego, to get my own one-on-one lesson with Mr. Flores – prepared with pen and paper and my little makeup bag. For several hours, we went over the process of applying makeup to enhance most notably the eyes, eyebrows, and cheekbones. During my sesh, I learned how to apply foundation and blend concealer with a beauty blender (see how to apply flawless foundation here), apply bronzer for depth and blush for brightness (see how to get high cheekbones here), accentuate eyebrows with pencil and white shadow (see how to get bold eyebrows here and how to shape brows here), create a larger eye through eyeshadows, fake eyelashes, and black liner, as well as creating a natural lip with nude liner and pink lipstick (see how to get perfect pink lips here). Wait until you see the difference in my face! My key takeaways for stage makeup are listed below.
How To Do Stage Makeup For Miss California USA 2013:
1. Apply foundation to face, making sure to add concealer below the eyes, on the top of the nose, chin, and forehead, as you want these areas to appear lighter so that they pop on stage. TIP: Use a “Beauty Blender” to blend product!
2. Add bronzer below cheekbones and around hair line with bronzer brush to create depth.
3. Apply blush above bronzer line in an apple shape with large blush brush for a pop of color.
4. Accentuate brows (something I never do) by penciling them in and then lining underneath with a white shadow.
5. Apply eyeshadow to eyes, making sure to darken the crease of the eyes so to create a larger eye.
6. Apply fake eyelashes!!!
7. Line eyelashes with black pencil.
8. Line lips with pencil and apply a nude lipstick or color of your choice (not shown, but you get the point).