This Halloween, spook your guests with these yummy, but scary, Spider Popcorn Balls! These Halloween party treats are fun to make with girlfriends or kiddies and will instantly get you all into the Halloween spirit. The color of your popcorn balls will be chosen depending on how much you would like to spook your guests when they see your spiders! You can make them decorative, sweet, and cute with bright colors or super scary and dark just by combining the food coloring to create dirtier and grosser hue.
Click here to see our recipe for Dracula’s Dentures. An assortment of candies can be combined to create the eyes, nose, and legs of the spiders. Lastly, serve your delicious popcorn balls on a fun black or orange party platter for a lovely Halloween display. These spiders are great as decoration, but delicious to eat as well…well of course! For more fabulous Halloween recipes and costume ideas, click here. Happy Halloween!
Halloween Party Treats: How To Make Spider Popcorn Balls
- 10 Cups of popcorn
- 16 oz. mini marshmallows
- 1 Stick of butter
- 1 Tablespoon vanilla extract
- 2 Tablespoons sugar
- Blue, yellow, and red food coloring
- 1/4 Cup meringue powder
- Assortment of candies including M&M’s, black licorice strings, orange and black gum drops, candy corn
- Pop the popcorn and remove any unpopped popcorn, set aside in a large bowl.
- Melt marshmallows, butter, vanilla extract, and sugar in a large sauce pan. Stir until fully melted and combined.
- Once melted add blue, yellow, and red food coloring to sauce to make the spiders black or skip this step if you want them colorful.
- Pour sauce over marshmallows in a large bowl and fold together with a rubber spatula.
- To make spiders colorful, add blue, yellow, and red food coloring and continue to mix the popcorn with the sauce.
- Once the popcorn has cooled enough to be able to touch, mold the popcorn into balls and set aside on a tray covered with wax paper.
- Combine 1/4 meringue powder with a splash of water to make a thick paste.
- Dip candies in meringue paste, which will act as an edible glue, and attach to the popcorn balls. Allow meringue paste to dry before moving spiders to a serving tray.
- Serve and enjoy!
Shop our favorite cooking accessories: