As the holidays are in full swing, tis the season to be jolly and fashionable at the same time. Looking festive this year doesn’t have to mean ugly Christmas sweaters and colorful reindeer socks. Oxblood red, glitter, velvet trimmings, and metallic accessories are amongst us for holiday trends. The key to a stylish holiday wardrobe is bold pieces mixed in with basics. Although it can be quite a conundrum for a stylish lady to incorporate red and green without looking like Santa’s little helper, we have done the work for you and found ten must have items ready to warm up any holiday party.
If you love to wear pants or denim, colored velvet skinny pants in colors of the season like oxblood or cobalt blue are fantastic! An oxblood lip is popular with celebs including Leighton Meester, Kate Bosworth, Rooney Mara, Lana Del Rey and Jessica Alba. Metallics are a big 2012 fall and winter trend, but can be difficult to pull off during the day. Try Metallic gold and silver knit sweaters are subtle and festive for the daytime! Do not forget about sparkling and bedazzling with your shoes, clutch, a glitter belt and your best accessory; your nails! We show a great holiday nail design you can do yourself and where to buy the popular leather nail polish. Also on our list is a faux fur bolero for keeping warm and staying sophisticated in a party dress as well as a boucle jacket for unleashing your inner Coco Chanel. Lastly, a ribbon necklace is a fabulous touch for a winter day or evening look and are not too pricey!
10 Items to Spice Up Your Holiday Winter Wardrobe from $6-$150
1. Colored Velvet Pants:Feel like royalty in a pair of velvet skinny jeans. Add a denim shirt for a casual look or a metallic sequin tank for a dressier take.
SHOP THE LOOK (similar): Lucky Jeans Velvet Skinny Jeans- $99.00
2. Oxblood Lips: The trendiest color of the season is the deepest shade of red better known as Oxblood. Rock this lip color like Rooney Mara and all of these celebrities did on the red carpet.
SHOP THE LOOK: Oxblood Vendanges Lipstick, $24
3. Metallic or Sequin Sweater: Show everyone whose boss with a metallic or sequined sweater. Wear this piece with dark jeans, black cigarette pants, or a party feather skirt like fashion blogger, Blair Eadie of Atlantic Pacific for a glammed up look.
SHOP THIS SWEATER (same): Michael Michael Kors Metallic Cable Knit Sweater, $150
4. Boucle Jacket: Classy as can be, boucle is at its all time high this season. Are you ready to bring out your inner Coco Chanel?
SHOP THE LOOK: Forever 21 Fringed Boucle Jacket- $34.80
5. Glitter Belt: Belts are a great way of adding a personal touch to an outfit. This time of year, why not make a statement with a glittery belt. Stick to golds and silvers to be especially cheerful.
SHOP THE LOOK: Merona Target Chunky Glitter Belt- $12.99
6. Sparkle or Leather Nail Polish: No one should be left out of the nail art movement brought forth by celebrities like Alexa Chung and Zooey Deschanel. Sparkly nails and even sparkly ombre nails are beautiful for the holidays. The newest trend in nail polish is Nails Inc Bling It On Black Leather and Skulls nail polish which gives a leather finish. Alexa Chung wore this leather nail polish to the British Style Awards with a Simone Rocha black lace dress. This new collection will be available worldwide on December 20, 2012.
SHOP THE LOOK: American Apparel Glitter Sparkle Nail Polish- $6.00
7. Bedazzled Ballerina Flats: Mix comfort with fun style with a pair of glitter flats. How great would these be with dark grey leggings and an oversized sweater?
SHOP THE LOOK: J. Crew Lula Glitter Ballerina Flats, $138
8. Faux Fur Bolero: Don’t let the cold weather stop you from looking remarkable this holiday. Add a lush faux fur bolero to a cocktail dress for instantaneous glam.
SHOP THE LOOK: Eliza J. Faux Fur Eggplant Bolero- $98.00
9. Metallic Clutch: No holiday wardrobe is complete without a festive metallic clutch. What is the good thing about metallic? You can wear it year round.
SHOP THE LOOK: ASOS Oasis Metallic Bobble Foil Clutch- $43.98
1o. Ribbon Statement Necklace: All the gift-wrapping has gotten to our head! Combine ribbon into your accessories for a sweet touch to any ensemble. Wear a statement necklace with a basic tee or a high neck peplum top to really show off its charm.
SHOP THE LOOK: Lori’s Shoes Statement Teardrop Ribbon Necklace- $20.95