You are invited to your friend’s wedding. Dress code is “black tie”. What will you wear? Freak out!! Fortunately, black tie attire offers many apparel options, much more than its more formal counterpart “white tie” – whereby one is limited to only the most überchic of dresses and accessories – which has nothing to do with wearing white (sorry, had to say it).
There are many rules for what to wear to a black tie wedding, but who wants to hear another dress code rule you have to follow? Below, we’ve listed 9 things you need to know when preparing for a black tie wedding. We’ve also styled a Robert Rodriguez gold strapless gown and accessorized it with sparkly gold Giuseppe Zanotti heels, slender gold belt, and a romantic pearl/flower cocktail ring. Leave a comment below with your black tie wedding attire tips and tweet us your dress pics @nubry.
9 Things You Need To Know When Dressing For A Black Tie Wedding
1. Dress Length – when choosing your dress for a black tie wedding, it’s always safest to opt for a long gown, however, short dresses can also be appropriate.
2. Dress Style – the dress you choose should be feminine and romantic, not overtly sexy – out of respect for the bride and groom – but still slightly seductive.
3. Dress Color – just don’t wear white! Don’t wear cream or ivory either.
4. Heels – make sure you are not wearing stilettos if the reception takes place on the grass.
5. Coverup – a fur bolero for a fancier wedding, a shawl for a less formal black tie wedding.
6. Invitation – based on the presentation of the invitation, you will be able to determine how fancy the black tie wedding is.
7. Jewelry – wear earrings and bangle if your dress is simple and elegant; choose understated jewelry when your dress is already doing the talking.
8. Bag – a clutch or little purse is really the only way to go. No one wants to tote around large luggage.
9. Hair – why pay to have someone pin your hair up when you can just as easily where it down in pretty loose curls?
SHOP THIS DRESS: Robert Rodriguez Black Label Lucy Tiered Gown