When the weather chills, wind blows, leaves change color, furs come out of storage, and Pumpkin Spice Lattes are part of your everyday office convo…you know the fall/winter season has arrived! This is my favorite time of year because not only do I get to grab my chunky sweaters from the top of my closet, my leggings from my winter drawer, and UGGs (I know, so high school!) from the back of my boots closet, but I also get to cook my yummy, comforting vegetable soup recipe. My hearty vegetable soups are an absolute favorite among my friends and family because I load them with low calorie fresh vegetables and herbs to create an extremely satisfying meal that …. wait for it …. causes you to detox and lose weight!
My tasty detox vegetable soup recipe is filled to the brim of the pot with nutrient dense vegetables including leeks, celery, carrots, zucchini, yellow squash, parsnips, broccoli, baby tomatoes, red swiss chard, turmeric, and Italian parsley. Turmeric is used as a spice and comes from the root of the Curcuma longa plant. It is a powerful anti inflammatory and antioxidant that you need to add to your diet, not only for weight loss, but also for good health! This vegan soup makes many portions and the good thing is you’ll have leftovers for a few days so you can continue to nourish your body with each and every bowl enjoyed.
Below, see my vegetable soup recipe that I use for detoxing, weight loss, and pure enjoyment. Oh and by the way, don’t worry about getting the quantities of all the ingredients exact. I’m all about throwing in what I have, when I have it…no hassles, no stress, because no matter what, it’ll taste great!
Detox Vegetable Soup Recipe
- 1/2 tablespoon coconut oil
- coconut vinegar
- coconut aminos
- 1 leek, thinly sliced
- 4 celery stalks, sliced
- 1 carrot, diced
- 1 zucchini, diced
- 1 yellow squash, diced
- 1 parsnip, diced
- 1 broccoli stalk, florets and peeled/chopped stalk
- 1/2 piece fresh turmeric, chopped finely
- 1 carton low sodium vegetable broth
- cayenne pepper to taste, optional
- Himalayan salt to taste, optional
- 3- 4 red Swiss chard leaves, chopped
- handful baby tomatoes, halved
- bunch of Italian parsley, chopped finely
- In a large pot, melt coconut oil over medium/high heat and saute with entire leek. Once leeks change to a whiter color, add celery and carrot. Free-hand coconut vinegar and coconut aminos for flavor and let cook for a few minutes while stirring.
- Add vegetable broth, water, zucchini, squash, parsnip, broccoli, and turmeric. Season with cayenne pepper and Himalayan salt if desired. Put lid on soup and let cook for 15 minutes, paying attention to not let vegetables overcook.
- When broccoli is to desired tenderness and parsnips are soft, add the Swiss chard and baby tomatoes. Put lid back on and turn off heat. The chard will cook immediately in the hot steam.
- To serve, top each bowl with freshly chopped parsley and enjoy!