With fantastic recipes available to us, such as these Vegetarian Tacos, eating a whole foods, plant-based, and vegan diet means that you can eat healthy and delicious food without ever sacrificing the flavor! Start your week off right with these tasty veggie tacos — they provide that Southwestern flare that we all die for, while still being superbly healthy! Made gluten-free with sprouted corn tortillas, yams, mushrooms, radish, cilantro, red onion, avocado, lime, and a creamy, non-dairy Chipotle sauce, you need try our Vegetarian Tacos Recipe with Chipotle Sauce for yourself too! Read on for nutrition tips and details about what each vitamin found in these tacos means for your overall health.
Sprouted corn tortillas are gluten-free and a fabulous alternative to typical tortillas as sprouted corn is more digestible and thereby easier for our bodies to absorb the nutrients from the corn. Our favorite brand of delicious ready-made organic corn tortillas is Food for Life, which can be found in the frozen section of your grocery store. Yams are one of those beautifying foods that should be a staple in your diet, as they carry important properties that are quite beneficial to your health. Click here to see our vegan recipe for health baked sweet potatoes.
Yams are high in fiber, vitamin C, vitamin B6, copper, and potassium. Fiber helps promote a healthy digestive system, vitamin C assists with tissue repair, copper promotes the production of collagen (say goodbye to wrinkles!), and potassium is vital to energy production, nerve impulses, and muscle contractions. Lastly, the creamy Chipotle sauce is made with hemp seeds, which is packed with omega-3 fatty acids, vital to our health.
Below, see our recipe for Gluten-Free Vegetarian Tacos made with Chipotle Sauce. Enjoy!
Vegan Recipe: Gluten-Free Vegetarian Tacos
With Chipotle Sauce
health tip: we recommend using organic ingredients
- 1 Yam – yellow or white
- 1/4 cup hemp seeds
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 tablespoon nutritional yeast
- 1/2 lemon, juiced
- 1 1/2 teaspoons chipotle powder
- 2 teaspoons coconut oil
- 1 cup sliced shiitake mushrooms – stems removed
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/2 cup thinly sliced red onion
- 1 cup thinly sliced red radish
- 1/2 cilantro, finely chopped
- 1 lime, juiced
- 6 sprouted corn tortillas
- 1 avocado, sliced
- Peel, chop, and steam yam for 10 minutes.
- To prepare Chipotle sauce, combine hemp seeds, water, nutritional yeast, lemon juice, and Chipotle powder in a blender. Blend for 30 seconds and set aside.
- Melt coconut oil in a pan over medium heat and lightly sauté mushrooms. Add cumin and chili powder to mushrooms and toss until mushrooms are evenly coated with spices.
- In a separate bowl, toss red onion, radish, cilantro, and lime juice until combined.
- Warm corn tortillas in a skillet on medium heat, remove once warm and pliable (over warming will cause tortillas to turn hard).
- Layer toppings into the tortillas and enjoy your healthy and scrumptious vegetarian tacos!