Welcome to summer, the best time of year for weekend getaways to fabulous, drivable destinations from San Diego to Santa Barbara, Vegas, and Palm Springs or from Boston to Nantucket! Are you lucky enough to be traveling this weekend, but have no idea what to pack or what belongs on your vacation packing list? You, my friend, are not alone! The daunting task of packing “light” while ensuring the perfect outfit for any occasion that may arise over the weekend can overwhelm even the most seasoned jetsetter! But not to worry, below, we have put together the perfect vacation packing list for whatever your weekend getaway may hold!
Summer Vacation Packing List For Your Weekend Getaway
- A dressy pair of sandals – No matter where your weekend takes you a pair of sandals that can transition from day to night are a must! You can pair them with denim shorts and tanks during the day for a casual look or pair them with a pair of cropped silk pants for a resort ready evening look.
- An evening shoe – Your destination will help determine the perfect evening shoe for you. A bachelorette weekend in Vegas calls for a sexy stiletto while a romantic escape to a laid back beach town makes an espadrille wedge much more appropriate.
- A wide brimmed hat – The on trend Panama style hats are perfect for travel. They look great with laid back daytime looks and are perfect to shade your face while laying poolside! Tip: Wear the hat on travel days which will help hold the shape and keep luggage to a minimum.
- A perfect swimsuit…or two – You will have to fight the desire to pack ten swimsuits with the rational “but they take up hardly any space”! Chances are you will probably only spend a day or two at the pool or beach so, unless you plan on multiple outfit changes at the pool stick to no more than two swimsuits, you’ll thank us later!
- A kaftan – A simple, lightweight item can pack such a wow factor! A gorgeous kaftan can elevate your pool style or be a divine option for balmy, evening cocktails. With so many gorgeous colors and patterns it will be tough to pick just one!
- A pair of jean shorts – Sounds simple enough but a pair of well fitting denim shorts can be worn a few times over the course of a weekend and look completely different. Be sure to pack a few tops that show your personal style!
- A dress that goes from day to night – A fabulous sundress that looks gorgeous paired with sandals all day and packs a punch for the evening will save a ton of valuable luggage space. If your destination is a little more laid back pick a dress in a fun color or bold pattern. If you are heading to Vegas or a city with some nightlife to explore look for a simple dress in a bright color (like hot pink) or basic black to carry you through the night.
- A lightweight scarf/wrap – Look for a color that compliments what you have already packed. This essential can be worn with shorts and a tee for a more sophisticated look, used as a wrap on a cooler evening, or used as a pillow for a quick nap in the car. Who doesn’t love a multipurpose item?
- A Day to Night Bag – The “wallet on a chain” look is on trend for Spring/Summer and works well as a bag for any occasion! A Chanel inspired black and gold purse is perfection for a city getaway while a more colorful Rebecca Minkoff bag is ideal for a resort style escape.
- Jewelry – This is another area to fight the urge! A few necklaces, bracelets, and earrings take up hardly any room but here is a quick reminder: you will most likely only wear 2 or 3 pieces all weekend! Pick a color (silver or gold) and keep your pieces in the same family. If you are looking for a statement necklace make sure it can be worn a few ways.
Interested in more information about what should be on your vacation packing list, weekend getaways, and more travel fun? Be sure to subscribe to our newsletter in the right hand sidebar above!