The soiree that gathers editors, buyers, socialites, and celebrities alike, known as New York Fashion Week, starts today! Fall 2013 collections are being unleashed on the runways at Lincoln Center, Milk Studios and other venues in and around NYC. The dilemma of “what to wear” is a problem for even the most fashionable. With so many trends to choose from – emerald green, prints, cut outs, leather, etc. – it can be quite daunting for a fashionista.
But then again, if you are lucky enough to be invited, its time to up the ante on fashion with a polished look bound to make you look like a true New York Insider without breaking the bank. Keep it refined with trouser pants or opt for a flirtier look with an umbrella skirt. Remember, this is a fashion show, but only Anna Dello Russo dresses like Anna Dello Russo to these events.
You can look amazing and still stay true to your style. Don’t forget to pack simple flats or sneakers for long stretches of standing but make up for it with a fun statement necklace. Invest in a nice neutral silk blouse to multi task with various outfits and to offset your pastel sunnies and an oversized clutch. Prepare for a cold season with a wool trench coat and a fur vest or faux fur coat, to pull the whole look together. Don’t forget your heels! Tweet or instagram your outfits using #NYFW. Tag @nubry on Twitter or Instagram so we can see your style!
10 Affordable Must Have Pieces For New York Fashion Week Winter Edition
1. Trouser Pants: A well fitting pair of trousers will have you looking sophisticated and classic. This essential will work great with a number of outfits without anyone noticing. If you are feeling daring, a statement pair of trouser pants will get the photogs attention and you will see the flashes flying everywhere you go.
SHOP THE LOOK: (similar) Zara Studio Trousers – $79.90
2. Umbrella Skirt: Pack an umbrella skirt to wear with opaque tights for some of the fancier shows. Umbrella skirts are a hot trend ticket this season; it is fashion week after all.
SHOP THE LOOK: Mango Asos Metallic Jacquard Umbrella Skirt – $20.17
3. Black Flats or Sneakers: If you are working fashion week…lets be honest, if you are at fashion week then you are working! A pair of well-made flat shoes or comfortable fashion sneakers will be a necessity even if you just slip them into your bag when your heels will not make another step. Although New York is all about high heels, running back and fourth at the Lincoln Center will get the best of you. Sometimes you have to save the heels for the after party.
SHOP THE LOOK: Marc by Marc Logo Ballet Patent Flats – $198
4. Statement Jewelry: The best way to really add a kick of “I have style” to a fashion week outfit is jewelry. Choose gold as it stands out a little more. Also, cuffs and intricate necklaces will be a winner.
SHOP THE LOOK: J.Crew Golden Gears Necklace– $118.00
5. Silk Blouse: The ultimate staple is a long sleeved, neutral colored silk blouse. A fitted, non-decorative shirt will be your best friend to wear with pants, skirts, and underneath jackets. It will allow room for arm candy or a decorative silk scarf. Plus, it’s a basic. Your closet will love you.
SHOP THE LOOK: Shop Ruche Make Me Swoon Lace Blouse Equipment Ruby Silk Blouse – $42.99
6. Oversized Clutch: Can’t splurge on a Celine bag? Or even a Chanel? No worries. Remaining understated will give the impression of elegance. Try a patent or pebbled leather oversized clutch as a substantial alternative.
SHOP THE LOOK: Clare Vivier Fold Over Clutch – $157.00
7. Pastel Colored Sunglasses: Flash your style credentials with the colors of the season: Pastels. Try a sea-foam green or a pretty pink pair for that extra dose of sass.
SHOP THE LOOK: Nasty Gal Sweet Thing Shades -$18.00
8. Trench Coat: New York is experiencing a pretty brutal winter so make sure to arrive prepared with a warm wool trench style coat. Black is always in favor, but a cheetah print would look fierce and certainly grab the street photographers attention.
SHOP THE LOOK: DKNY Belted Wool Trench Coat – $159.99
9. Heels: While fashion week is a party in its own right, the after parties will be the highlight. Calling Marc Jacobs the master party thrower to the runway please. To look the part, closed toe heels are a must have. Not only will they be semi-comfortable, the New York fashion gods will be pleased.
SHOP THE LOOK: Nine West Fortonight Black Pumps -$98.95
10. Fur Jacket or Fur Vest: A fur vest can keep you warm while traveling to and from Lincoln Center. A fur vest that is not too cumbersome will be great for finishing your look and making it possible to dress lightly underneath the coat.
SHOP THE LOOK: BB Dakota Faux Tibetan Lamb Fur Vest – $92.00