More than 260 galleries will showcase works of over 2,000 artists in Miami as the 11th edition of the Basel fever kicks off on Miami Beach on December 6th, lasting through December 9th, 2012. This is the most prestigious art show in the Americas! Art Basel originated in Basel, Switzerland and will have its 1st edition in Hong Kong in 2013. As you soak up all that creativity and hobnob with the art and fashion world, looking the part will only add to the creative charisma around you. Art Basel Miami is just as much a fashion show as an art show with lots of parties all week long – many which have already started!
Below, we’ve outlined for you exactly what you need to be sporting during Art Basel Miami, from necessary types of shoes and scarfs to appropriate dresses, blazers, and prints. Thankfully, the barometer is friendly enough to say “no top coat necessary”, so you’ll find below our best recommendations inspired by Spring 2013 Runways. For More information on the best parties, see StyleCaster’s “Ultimate Party Guide” including their hosted party, “The Most Stylish: Miami” here.
What To Wear During Art | Basel In Miami Beach
1. The Shoes: Yes, they’re meant for walking (a lot of it). Even though there is a free shuttle for gallery/art event hopping, you’re going to have to walk. And sometimes on sandy terrain too. As much as we love stilettos, we vote for flats, mid heels or wedges for Art Basel. You know we’re in love with metallic shoes and we highly recommend investing in color-blocked, moderately heeled shoes a la Giambattista Valli and Andrew Kayla. Keeping up with metallic trends, brocade smoking slippers or gold/silver Oxford lace-ups should also do the magic, all while keeping your feet comfortable and stylish. Wear boots if you must, but we recommend booties more so for Miami.
2. The Blazer: Wear it color-blocked, printed or drenched in shimmer – nothing will make an outfit pop more! Taking a cue from the Spring 2013 runway shows, we’d bet on short or irregular silhouettes that go well with a dress, leggings (colored leather or wild printed) or pants. We love this Alexis Calista sweater and the Boulee Reversible Jacket we discovered in another good local find, Jessie Boutique on Miami Beach. Also, as a side note, we’d totally wear the Alice & Olivia Cecily Military Jacket to the Basel!
3. Get Dressy: Only in Miami can you sport a dress in what is an otherwise chilly month elsewhere. We’d put our money on clean silhouettes in zesty neons, blue and green hues. A cover-up or tunic style dress or a sexy cutout dress will be more than appropriate with strappy sandals. You can even choose to be a party girl and herald the night earlier on, bring out the brocade if you must! We’re betting on celery greens and blue hues for the coming season. Take advantage of the mercury and sport fabrics like georgettes, silks and easy flowing fabrics.
Shop this gold stunner by Stop Staring and this Python cut out dress by Naven at Lilac and Lilies, a chic local Fort Lauderdale boutique. Ready-To-Wear and couture finds are also great by Rene Ruiz, a Miami designer who continues to be the go-to atelier for socialites and celebrities and is now expanding internationally. We loved the rich, purple number by him below. His collections can be bought at their flagship in Coral Gables or John DeMedeiros in Palm Beach.
4. The Ever-Chic Scarf: Wear it short or wear it long, wear it solid or wear a print. There is something oh-so-Parisian about this accessory that we’d put our money on this right away to make an outfit pop. As a side note, you can even tie a silk one on your “it” bag. Statement bags, earrings, and wrist cuffs are here to stay for a few seasons and they also make for great investment pieces. Available everywhere, you can even wear an oversized scarf as a drape if you get a little chilly. We love the gypsy twist that Johnny Was puts on!
5. Prints, Prints, Prints: Max up on colors and prints to fit into the South Beach vibe. A word to the wise: accessorize with neutrals so you don’t over do the flower-child look. Floral, animal print, geometric and abstract prints will work well with the Basel vibe. In addition to the above Basel “What To Wear” list, statement accessories can be real show-stealers that will keep you in the spotlight. But always remember, when it comes to being chic, less is always more as goes the never-failing, classic old world sensibility.